- First report of EMST intervention after supracricoid partial laryngectomy (SCPL).
- The clinical pilot study was undertaken to determine the safety and efficacy of a 4-week treatment program
- Most participants found the device easy to use and beneficial
- Demonstrated improvement in two measures: Increase in peak cough flow and decrease on the Dyspnea index
- Overall: EMST appeared to improve cough strength and reduce symptoms of shortness of breath after SCPL.
Palmer, Andrew D., et al. “The Safety and Efficacy of Expiratory Muscle Strength Training for Rehabilitation After Supracricoid Partial Laryngectomy: A Pilot Investigation.” Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, vol. 128, no. 3, Mar. 2019, pp. 169–76. DOI.org (Crossref), doi:10.1177/0003489418812901.